Updated: Sep 5, 2020
This was one of my favorite dishes to get when my husband and I were dating. The restaurant closed a few years ago so now I have to make it myself. 😊 This is my version and I must say it comes pretty close to the original.
😋 This dish is juicy grilled chicken and portobello mushrooms in a spicy roasted red pepper, parmesan, basil cream sauce. It can be served as an appetizer with pita, low carb, or gluten-free bread to dip (like it was at the restaurant) or served over noodles, zoodles, or any pasta of your choice.
👉🏼Give this recipe a try and let me know how you like it!
👉🏼Be sure to follow me @cooking_with_alligator_pear on Instagram and Facebook for more yummy low carb and gluten-free recipes AND 👉🏼TAG ME if you make this. Enjoy! 😋
Ingredients 1 16oz. Jar Roasted Red Bell Peppers, drained and chopped
3 lbs. boneless chicken breast
1/2 cup Portobello or Baby Bello mushrooms
1/2 white or yellow onion diced
3-4 cloves of minced garlic
1/4 cup fresh basil
2-3 Tbsp Avocado Oil or Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Butter
1 cup Half & Half
1/3 cup grated Romano or Parmesan Cheese
1/8 tsp of red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp salt
Pinch of black pepper or to taste 1 tsp cornstarch optional to thicken if needed
Preparation: 1. Lightly season chicken with creole seasoning and grill / cook in pan for 2-3 minutes in each side. 2. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside to rest.
*Don’t worry about it being under cooked as it will be added to sauce later and heater thru.
3. Drain and chop red peppers into small pieces and set aside.
4. Chop onions into small dice.
5. In a large pan add oil and saute the onion, and red peppers for about five minutes.
6. Add in garlic and cook for another five minutes.
7. Place mixture and half and half into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
*Optional: Mix corn starch and cold Half & Half together making sure there are no lumps.
8. Return the mixture back into the saucepan and bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer.
9. Add in cheese, butter, mushrooms, and basil. Simmer for 5 minutes until it thickens.
*Note If it thickens too much add a little more half and half.
10. Slice chicken breast in long strips and to the sauce and cook until heated thru.
11. Serve over pasta as an entree or as an appetizer with your favorite gluten-free and/or low carb bread toasted, buttered, and rubbed with garlic! Enjoy!